Location: Remote working, with online meetings as required
Time requirements: Part Time, 3-6 hrs pw (flexible, negotiable)
Start Date: ASAP
Our current (employed) Senior Technical Project Manager has had to reduce his part-time hours due to personal circumstances. This has led to the opportunity for a volunteer project manager to provide support, learn the ropes, develop their Agile management skills and gain experience contributing to the essential running of our fantastic genealogy projects.
This role would involve a long term commitment - minimum of 6 months.
Areas of work involved
- Facilitating our teams of volunteers working on UX and design, software development (Ruby on Rails) and FREEBMD, documentation, css and html.
- Helping them to deliver working software in increments as we build the next versions of our services, while reinforcing agile good practices through continuous inspection and adaptation.
- Running a quarterly Roadmap Review for each project
- Running a two-weekly scrum for each project
- Additional tasks arising from these meetings(as time permits / fits with your skills or skills you would like to develop)
- Working with our full-time Ruby developer to bring new volunteer coders on board.
- Help the project volunteers (transcribers, etc.) keep up to date with developments on ‘their’ websites.
- Undertaking the annual review of our security policy
- Supporting volunteers with Systemwide issues such as cookie consent, adverts, and analytics.
- Working with and supporting the technical project manager on milestone planning, scheduling and project documentation.
This project would suit someone with experience of this or a similar role, or a developer or sysadmin interested in broadening their interests. Knowledge of the tools we use, Agile/Scrum methodologies, would be useful, but willingness to learn is equally as important.
It is a volunteer, unpaid role but as a result there are no strict hours. It is work from home (or library/ coffee shop) and it is flexible - you can gain real experience to add to your CV, or to keep engaged with people and learning while you are out of the workplace for whatever reason, and contribute to a good cause while doing so.
How we work
We follow an Agile software development approach and as a remote team, we like to communicate via our agile board (Zenhub), GitHub, Slack and via Google Meet. We are a friendly bunch, happy to share our knowledge and we look forward to you joining and lending a helping hand. We meet online for each of our three projects, plus for Systemwide issues (Google Meet) every two weeks for about an hour, currently 5pm to 6pm (UK time), on Monday and Wednesday afternoons, but this may be altered to suit your availability.
To find out more and apply, email Rich Pomfret (Senior Technical Project Manager).